I’m excited to announce the “Cook Your Way Through The S.A.T.” contest co-sponsored with “School Library Journal-Teen (SLJTeen).” The contest is open to all middle and high school students in grades 6 – 12. The contest will be announced on the SLJTeen website on 12/21/11 but you don’t have to wait until then to enter.
1. LIKE the Facebook fan page “Cook Your Way Through The S.A.T.” Click on ENTER NOW, fill in your name and email on the entry form and click SUBSCRIBE. Please note: you can “view the official rules” before entering the contest, but you can’t actually enter without filling out the form!
2. Write a 3 – 7 sentence “fun fact blurb” for my “chocolate lava cake” recipe, which is listed below. The blurb must contain 10 standardized test vocabulary words that have not already been used in “Cook Your Way Through The S.A.T.” Sample blurbs and already-used vocabulary can be found in the “Preview My Book” tab on www.SATgourmet.com.
3. Email your blurb to CookYourWayThroughTheSAT@gmail.com on or before January 15, 2012. Please write “SLJTeen Contest – Grade ___” in the subject line. Don’t forget to fill in the grade you’re in!
4. Students who are already fans of my Facebook page can click on the “Contest” tab on the fan page to enter the contest.
Chocolate Lava Cake (Chocolate Volcano Cake)
Makes 12 cakes
8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
nonstick cooking spray
vanilla ice cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Spray 12 muffin tins with the nonstick cooking spray.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave. Mix together the butter/chocolate mixture and then add the flour and sugar. Mix until combined and then add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla. Evenly ladle the batter into each muffin tin. Place in the oven for 12-14 minutes. Once the cakes are done, run a knife around each and carefully take out the cakes. Serve with ice cream.
I will post the cooking demo for this recipe on my youtube channel: SATgourmet on the same day as the SLJTeen announcement.
Legend has it that this dessert is the product of a culinary disaster, when a chef took the cake out of the oven before it was fully baked. Enjoy the MOLTEN center by eating chocolate lava cake right out of the oven – no cooling necessary.
One winner will be chosen from each of 3 categories:
- middle school (6th/7th/8th grades)
- lower high school (9th/10th grades)
- upper high school (11th/12th grades)
Winning blurbs will be posted on www.SATgourmet.com on Monday, 1/30/2012. Each winner will receive a copy of “Cook Your Way Through The S.A.T.” and a matching apron.
Questions? Use the “Contact Charis” form on this website.
Good writing and good luck!
MOLTEN = liquified by heat